Sports Premium Funding
The Sports Premium is an annual amount allocated to schools from central government to promote teaching and learning in PE and Sport in Primary schools. St Andrew’s receives £9000 annually for this purpose although this sum is expected to double in 2017/18.
Schools must spend the funding to improve the quality of the PE and sport activities they offer their pupils, but they are free to choose the best way of using the money.
For example, it is recommended that funding can be used to:
- Hire specialist PE teachers
- Hire qualified sports coaches to work with teachers
- Provide existing staff with teaching resources to help them teach PE and sport
- Support and involve the least active children by running or extending school sports clubs, holiday clubs and Change4Life clubs
- Run sport competitions or increase pupils’ participation in the School Games
- Run sports activities with other schools
The documents below show in more detail how the funding has been spent at St Andrew's.